Anne Marie M Albano, PHD Specialties: Psychology, Child and Adolescent Psychology
Additional Locations for Anne Marie M Albano, PHD
About Anne Marie M Albano, PHD
I am a professor of medical psychology, a clinical psychologist and board certified in clinical child and adolescent psychology. In addition to serving as Director of the Columbia University Clinic for Anxiety and Related Disorders at 3 Columbus Circle, I also conduct research and train residents, fellows and psychology postdoctoral fellows and interns.
Our clinic treats children, adolescents, young adults and adults. Specialized programs, such as our Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) program for young children (ages 3-8), and our "Launching Emerging Adults Program" (ages 18-28) focus on treatment from a developmentally sensitive perspective. We offer individual, group, and family based cognitive behavioral therapy, in addition to psychiatric consultation and medication management.
In addition to clinical work, my research is focused on the development and testing of psychosocial treatments for anxiety and mood disorders, and in understanding the impact of these disorders on the developing youth. I was a PI of the "Child/Adolescent Anxiety Multimodal Study (CAMS)", a randomized clinical trial evaluating treatments for childhood anxiety disorders (see Walkup, Albano et al., 2008; NEJM) and for the "Treatments for Adolescents with Depression (TADS)" randomized clinical trial (TADS Team, JAMA, 2004).
I am editor of the journal "Evidence-Based Practice in Child and Adolescent Mental Health", a past member of the Board of Directors of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, and past president of both the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies and past president of the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology of the APA. I am a Fellow of Division 12, the Society of Clinical Psychology of the APA, a Fellow of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, and a Founding Fellow of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy. In 2015 I was awarded the "Outstanding Contribution by an Individual for Clinical Activities" distinction by the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies.
Additional information: Dr. Albano devotes her career to the study and treatment of anxiety and mood disorders in children, adolescents, and young adults. She is an expert diagnostician and cognitive behavioral therapist. Dr. Albano co-developed a cognitive behavioral treatment program for adolescents with social phobia, and is the co-author of a treatment manual and parent guide for school refusal behavior and of the treatment of depression in adolescents. In addition, she is the co-author of the Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule for Children. Her book for parents "You and Your Anxious Child: Free Your Child from Fears and Worries and Create a Joyful Family Life" with Leslie Pepper, was published in 2013 by the Avery/Penguin Press. Dr. Albano authored or co-authored over 90 articles and chapters, conducts clinical research, supervises the research and clinical development of interns and postdoctoral fellows in psychology and psychiatry, and is involved in advanced training of senior clinicians in CBT.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Adolescent and Childhood Disorders
Anxiety and Depression
Clinical Research Trials
Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy
Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT)
Depression and Anxiety Disorders
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Parent-Child Relationship Problem
Social Anxiety Disorder
- Medical School: University of Mississippi
- 2015 Outstanding Contribution by an Individual for Clinical Activities, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- 2014 Fellow, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- 2013 Fellow, Division 12, Society for Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association
- 2012 Elina Manghi Memorial Lecturer, Adler School of Professional Psychology, Chicago IL
- 2011 Virginia Tarlow MD, Memorial Lecturer in Psychiatry, Northwestern/Feinberg School of Medicine
- 2010 Todd Ouida Annual Lecture in Childhood Anxiety and Depression, University of Michigan
- 2008 Rosenberry Award in Behavioral Sciences, the Children's Hospital, University of Colorado at Denver
- 2005 Fellow, American Academy of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology
- 2001 Beck Institute Scholar in Cognitive Therapy and Research
- 2001 Recanati Family Assistant Professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine