Arnar Geirsson, MD
Locations and Appointments
ColumbiaDoctors - 15 North Broadway
CUIMC/Milstein Hospital Building
Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthplus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Fidelis Care
- Local 1199
- Magnacare (National)
- MVP Health Care
- Quality Health Management
- VNSNY CHOICE
- World Trade Center Health Plan
About Arnar Geirsson, MD
Dr. Geirsson is a renowned cardiac surgeon and the Director of the Cardiovascular Institute and Director of the Surgical Heart Valve Program at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center. With an upbringing and medical education in Iceland, he honed his skills in General Surgery at Yale University and Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania between 1998 and 2007. During his tenure at Yale as the Director of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery from 2007 to 2013, he made significant contributions to the field. Dr. Geirsson then returned to Iceland from 2013 to 2016, serving as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Landspitali University Hospital in Reykjavik. Driven by his passion for innovative approaches, he returned to Yale in 2016 and was appointed as the Chief of the Division of Cardiac Surgery in 2017.
Dr. Geirsson's clinical practice focuses on minimally invasive cardiac surgery and valve surgery, specializing in robotic mitral valve repair and aortic valve repair. He achieved notable milestones by performing the first minimally right thoracotomy mitral valve surgery at YNHH in 2009 and the first robotic mitral valve surgery at YNHH in 2018. Moreover, his research endeavors encompass both basic and clinical science, concentrating on mitral valve prolapse and aortic aneurysm disease.
With his expertise, dedication, and commitment to advancing cardiac surgery, Dr. Geirsson continues to make significant contributions to the field and improve patient outcomes.
Adult Cardiac Surgery
Aortic and Mitral Valve Surgery
Aortic Valve Surgery
Cardiac Valve Replacement
Cardiac Valve Surgery
Coronary and Structural Heart Interventions
Da Vinci Robotic Surgery
Heart Valve Disease
Heart Valve Repair
Heart Valve Replacement
Heart Valve Surgery
Minimally Invasive Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
Minimally Invasive Techniques
Minimally Invasive Valve Repair
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Mitral Valve Reconstruction
Mitral Valve Repair
Mitral Valve Replacement/Repair
Mitral Valve Surgery
Mitral/Aortic Valve Replacement
Structural Heart Disease
Titles & Positions
Director of the Cardiovascular Institute
Director of the Surgical Heart Valve Program
Professor of Surgery at CUMC
NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- 2001: Research Fellowship Award. The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. "Characterization of trophoblast factor suppressing MHC class II expression".
- 2009: Career Development Award. Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education. "Role of micro RNA in Cardiac Ischemia and Heart Failure".
- 2016: Best article published in the EJCTS in 2016 at the Journal Family Session at the EACTS Annual meeting in Barcelona, Spain, Oct 1-5, 2016. The Incidence and Mortality of Acute Thoracic Aortic Dissection: Results from a Whole Nation Study. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery.
- 2019: Ingegerd and Viking Olov Bjork Scholarship. Invitation for partipating in the 2019 SATS/Swedish Thoracic meeting in Stockholm, Sweden, September 4-6, 2019.
- 2020: Richard E. Clark Memorial Paper for Adult Cardiac Surgery presented at the 2020 Society of Thoracic Surgery Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Jan 26-28, 2020. The Evolving Burden of Infective Endocarditis Due to Illicit Drug Use in the United States: An Analysis of the STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database.
- 2021: Mitral Valve Repair Reference Center Award. American Heart Association and the Mitral Foundation recognized Yale-New Haven Hospital as referral center for mitral valve repair. Arnar Geirsson lead mitral valve surgeon.
Titles & Positions
- Director of the Cardiovascular Institute
- Director of the Surgical Heart Valve Program
- Professor of Surgery at CUMC