Bo Shen, MD Specialties: Gastroenterology
Additional Locations for Bo Shen, MD
- 161 Fort Washington AvenueFloor 8New York
Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthplus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Fidelis Care
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Local 1199
- Magnacare (National)
- MVP Health Care
- Oxford Health Plans
- VNSNY CHOICE
About Bo Shen, MD
Bo Shen, MD, is one of the world's pre-eminent leaders in interventional inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) due to his specialized expertise in treating a wide range of pouch-related disorders. Dr. Shen is the director of the IBD Center at Columbia. He is also the Vice Chair for Innovation in Medicine and Surgery and a Professor of Medicine (in Surgery).
In addition to pouchitis and pouch diseases, Dr. Shen specializes in IBD, GI endoscopy (including endoscopic pouch procedures), and imaging technology. Dr. Shen is known as a pioneer in interventional treatment for IBD - this includes postponing or eliminating the need for surgery in some cases.
Dr. Shen comes to NewYork-Presbyterian from the Cleveland Clinic, where he served as medical director for the Center of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute. While there, Dr. Shen established a subspecialty Pouchitis Clinic and Interventional IBD Clinic - the first and largest of its kind in the United States. He also created an IBD Board, modeled after oncology tumor boards, to help manage the most challenging cases with multiple specialists.
A prolific researcher in the field with more than 400 peer-reviewed articles, Dr. Shen is funded by a number of government and philanthropic organizations, including the NIH, American College of Gastroenterology, and the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.
Endoscopic Pouch Procedures
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Founder and Chair, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2018 Special Interest Group in Interventional Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Founder, Global Interventional Inflammatory Bowel Disease Group, 2018
- The State of-the-Art Lectureship “Management algorithm in Crohns disease”. Chennai IBD 2017. Chennai, India
- The State-of-the-Art Lectureship “Interventional IBD”. The 24th International Meeting: Challenges in Managing Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2017, St Vincent University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
- Helio Gastroenterology 200 - Innovators in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2016