Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna - NYP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield Healthplus
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans
- United Healthcare
About Elaine Barfield, M.D.
Dr. Elaine Barfield is an Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Associate Attending Pediatrician at New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medicine. She is board-certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Gastroenterology. She has been inducted as a Fellow into the New York Academy of Medicine in 2019.
Dr. Barfield received her B.A. in Psychology at Princeton University and earned her medical degree at New York University School of Medicine. She completed both her pediatric residency and pediatric gastroenterology fellowship at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. During her fellowship training she was selected as an American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (ANMS) Scholar and trained in the diagnosis and management of pediatric motility disorders including chronic constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, fecal incontinence, gastroparesis, rumination syndrome and manometric testing at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. She received a Certificate in Business Excellence from Columbia Business School. In 2019, she was inducted as a Fellow into the New York Academy of Medicine.
Dr. Barfield's clinical interests include treating children with inflammatory bowel disease (aka Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), celiac disease, constipation, abdominal pain, reflux, poor weight gain/failure to thrive, allergic disorders of the GI tract including eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE), and performing fecal microbiota transplant (FMT) for recurrent C.difficile infection. In addition to patient care, Dr. Barfield has a strong interest in diversity and serves as a leader on several committees working to promote recruitment and retention of diverse individuals at the institution. Her clinical research focuses on non-hospital infusions of biologics in pediatric patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Dr. Barfield originally hails from Ann Arbor, Michigan and has resided in NYC for 18 years. She is passionate about health care equity and working to eliminate healthcare disparities and has held several elected positions in the local and regional chapters of the National Medical Association.
KIDSHEALTH PODCAST ON CONSTIPATION WITH DR. BARFIELD:
KIDSHEALTH PODCAST ON CELIAC DISEASE WITH DR. BARFIELD:
INTERVIEW ON CELIAC DISEASE WITH DR. BARFIELD:
Blood In Stool
Fecal Microbiota Transfer (FMT)
Functional Gastrointestinal Disorder
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Percutaneous Placement of Gastrostomy Tube
Suction Biopsy of Rectum
Ultrasound Guided Biopsy of Liver
Wireless Capsule Endoscopy
- Degrees: New York University School of Medicine
- Degrees: Princeton University
- 2019, Inducted as a Fellow into the New York Academy of Medicine
- 2019 Top Physicians Under 40 Award; presented at the National Medical Associations national meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, July 27-31, 2019.
- Named to 2017 Edition of The Leading Physicians of the World and Top Gastroenterologists in New York, New York
- 2014, American College of Gastroenterology Presidential Poster Award in Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Clinical Vignette Category (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2010, Academic Pediatric Association New Century Scholar, (Vancouver)