Ethel Cesarman, M.D., Ph.D. Specialties: Pathology, Pathology - Anatomic, Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology, Molecular Pathology, Anatomic Pathology, Hematopathology
Additional Locations for Ethel Cesarman, M.D., Ph.D.
Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna - NYP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield Healthplus
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans
- United Healthcare
About Ethel Cesarman, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Cesarman is trained in Anatomic Patology, nbsp;Hematopathology and Molecular Pathology. She serves as Assistant Director of the Molecular Hematopathology Laboratory of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weil Cornell Medical College. Dr. Cesarman's research focuses on malignancies associated with AIDS and other immunodeficiencies. Dr. Cesarman is Leader of the Pathology Core for the AIDS Malignancy Consortium and is involved in the diagnosis of these tumors in multiple national and international clinical trials.
Ongoing research in the Cesarman laboratory is aimed at characterizing the oncogenes encoded by KSHV and EBV, with the goal of dissecting the mechanism of transformation by these viruses and understanding their role in the development of malignant lymphoma or Kaposi's sarcoma. By characterizing the viral proteins that provide survival signals to the tumor cells, we are better understanding the role they play in carcinogenesis. The laboratory is currently developing inhibitors to these oncogenic viral proteins as a novel approach for the treatment of EBV- and KSHV-related malignancies.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Medical School: New York University (NYU)
- Medical School: Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- 1995 Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists Award for outstanding publication by yourn investigator in the field of surgical pathology by an investigator under the age of 40.
- 2001-2006 Irma T Hirschl/Monique Weill- Caulier Career Scientist Award.
- 2001 Member American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- 2006 Member Henry Kunkel Society
- 2011-2013 Chair, General Faculty Council, Weill Cornell Medical College