Patrick A. Flynn, M.D. Specialties: Pediatric Cardiology
Additional Locations for Patrick A. Flynn, M.D.
Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna - NYP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield Healthplus
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans
- United Healthcare
About Patrick A. Flynn, M.D.
Dr. Flynn is Interim Co-Chief of the Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and Associate Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He graduated as class valedictorian from Villanova University in 1982, receiving the Leonardo da Vinci Award for excellence in science and the humanities. He received his medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency at the New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical College, serving as Chief Resident in Pediatrics in 1989-90. His fellowship was performed in Pediatric Cardiology at the New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical College.
Dr. Flynn has been active in the teaching of medical students, residents and fellows throughout his career at Weill Cornell Medicine. He served as the Director of the General Pediatrics Residency Program from 1996-2000 and as Clerkship Director of the Pediatrics Subinternship from 1996-2008.
Dr. Flynn was elected to the Cornell chapter of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society in 1998. He has been elected by graduating medical students to the Senior List on three occasions. He received the Outstanding Teacher Award from the Pediatric Housestaff in 1996 and the Excellence in Teaching Award from Weill Cornell in 2000.
Dr. Flynn was named to the Castle Connolly List of Top Doctors in the New York Metropolitan Area for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He was selected by New York Magazine as one of New York's Top Doctors in 2012 and 2013.
Dr. Flynn serves Weill Cornell Medical College as the Chair of the General Faculty Council. He is also President of the Pediatric Cardiology Society of Greater New York.
Dr. Flynn has participated in numerous international humanitarian medical missions aimed at performing and teaching the medical and surgical care of congenital heart disease in the developing world. These include: Healing the Children Guatemala Heart Mission, 1995; Surgeons of Hope mission to Fann Medical Center in Dakar, Senegal, 2007; Children's HeartLink missions to Jilin Heart Hospital in Changchun, China in 2008 and 2009, and the Post-Graduate Institute for Medical Education and Research in Chandigarh, India, in 2012. He is also participating in the development of the Sidra Medical and Research Center, which will be the major teaching affiliate of the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar.
Dr. Flynn is married to Dr. Shari Platt, Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Weill Cornell. They have two sons who attend the Trinity School and Windward School. Dr. Flynn served on the Board of Trustees of the Town School from 2008-2014. He has served as the chair of the Parents Diversity Committee at Town and as Chair of the Board Diversity Committee. Dr. Flynn is active in youth sports, coaching baseball and basketball with the Yorkville Youth Athletic Association and soccer with West Side Soccer League and New York Futsal.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Chest Pain In Children and Adolescents
Congenital Heart Disease
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome
Rheumatic Fever/Heart Disease
- Fellowship: University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Internship: University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Medical School: University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Pediatric Cardiology
- 2016, Physician of the Year, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- 2011, 2012, New York Magazine Best Doctor
- 2000, "Excellence in Teaching Award", Weill Cornell Medical College
- 2004, 1999, 1998, Senior List Selection, Cornell Medical College
- 1998, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Cornell Medical College
- 1996, Outstanding Teacher Award, presented by the Pediatric Housestaff
- 1995, Claire Lucille Pace Humanitarian Award for participation in Healing the Children, Guatemalan Heart Team