Peter Liou, MD Specialties: General Surgery, Transplant Surgery
Additional Locations for Peter Liou, MD
Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Fidelis Care
- Local 1199
- Magnacare (National)
- MVP Health Care
- Oxford Health Plans
- Quality Health Management
- VNSNY CHOICE
About Peter Liou, MD
Dr. Peter Liou is an Assistant Professor of Surgery at Columbia University and an Attending Transplant Surgeon at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He is board-certified in general surgery and received specialty training in abdominal transplant and hepatobiliary surgery. His practice interests focus on the surgical management of adults and children with liver and bile duct disease including those with liver failure, cirrhosis, bile duct and gallbladder disease, as well as those with benign and malignant liver tumors and cysts. He is skilled in minimally invasive surgery and trained to perform both laparoscopic and robotic surgery whenever possible.
Dr. Liou received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Biochemistry and Music from Columbia College, and subsequently attended medical school at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons. He was the recipient of a Doris Duke Translational Research Grant under the mentorship of Dr. Jessica Kandel. Dr. Liou then completed his general surgical residency at New York Presbyterian / Columbia, while receiving additional clinical training in Intestinal/Multivisceral transplant and Adult ECMO with Drs. Tomoaki Kato and Matthew Bacchetta during that time. He then continued with a surgical fellowship in Abdominal Organ Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery at New York Presbyterian Columbia and Weill Cornell.
Committed to providing compassionate and the latest comprehensive care, Dr. Liou routinely collaborates with an elite team of world-class providers in liver disease to achieve optimal outcomes and treatment success. He is also interested in international medicine, having participated in surgical outreaches and exchanges in China, Kenya, Swaziland, and Tanzania.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Internship: NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Medical School: Columbia University College of Physician & Surgeon
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Surgery - General Surgery
- AASLD Emerging Liver Scholar 2019, 2019.
- American College of Surgeons Leadership and Advocacy Summit Scholarship Award winner, 2016.
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Alumni Gold Medal, 2013.
- Joseph Garrison Parker Award in exemplifying through activities in art and the public interest, 2013.
- Miriam Berkman Spotnitz Award for Excellence in Research of Neoplastic Diseases, 2013